Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in participating in this program.
From time immemorial, the Himalayas have fascinated the imagination of people from all around the world. It is the abode of many rivers, wildlife sanctuaries, natural resources and spiritual seekers. But today it is facing the negative impact of Global Warming as many other parts of the world. The rapid melting of glaciers is conveying us about the massive destruction the whole of humanity may face in coming decades. The impact of warming in the Himalayas will impact more than 500 million lives. It is the third pole of the world and the water source of majority of Asian population.
Now we identify that wrong models of development, resource use, life styles and wasting have contributed much to the impending danger of global warming. Modern consumerism resulted in intensive use of fossil fuels, exploitation of resources and pollution of environment. We cannot run a wasteful society on a finite planet. One of the ways of addressing the challenge of global warming is by propagating and practicing efficient resource use models and discard handling systems based on Zero Waste principles which respects Nature, natural cycles, eco systems and culture. But it is still a huge challenge, especially in mountain areas. Thus, it is important for us to come together to find a solution together.
GAIA (Global Alliance for Incinerator Alternatives) and Thanal (Kerala) in collaboration with Deer Park Institute (Bir, Himachal Pradesh) proposes a platform for dialogue, share experiences and build a network of solidarity among various organizations and individuals working in the Himalayan belt, across from Eastern Himalaya to Western Himalaya, who are concerned about zero waste and global warming.
A. Global Warming Impact
1. Sharing observation of Global Warming evidences in their region
2. Sharing the impact of Global Warming on water source, agriculture, livelihood in their region
3. Zero Waste for Zero Warming Perspectives
B. Towards Zero Waste Himalaya
1. Sharing of waste related issues from different parts of Himalayas and sectors (tourism waste, municipal waste, medical waste...)
2. Technical session on issues related to current waste management systems, emerging climate change scenarios and technology (incineration, waste to energy, land filling,)
3. Zero Waste – Principles, Practices and Planning
4. Action Plans and Strategies (sectorwise)
5. Bir declaration on Zero Waste Himalaya
6. Formation of a network of organizations and individuals to share experience and update with information to take the campaign ahead.